Monday, June 2, 2014

Just call me Rocky

Saturday was my first double digit run with this training schedule. I re-read my journal entry from last year. It wasn't good. I put in there that that run was my worst so far. I walked a lot and had a ton of problems. I figured maybe this year would be better. Nope. It was bad as soon as I started. Problem...I had to use the restroom. Even though I'd gone twice before leaving the house for some reason I needed to go again. And my stomach was upset. I'd carb loaded just a little too much the day before and I was feeling it. I had my Garmin on so I figured I would just do my route through Elk Ridge but change it up a little so I could run by my house. I ran 1.5 mile and then stopped at my house.

When I started out again I knew it just wasn't going to be good. By the time I got to mile 4 I was wondering about going back home. My Powerade that I'd left the day before was around mile 5 so I stopped and drank. But by then I was exhausted, it was hot and I wanted to just go home. But I trudged on. I actually had to stop and walk some of it. I was about 2 or 3 blocks from my second Powerade stop when I looked down at my Garmin and realized I hadn't turned it back on when I'd started running again after my first drink stop. I was so mad!! I had changed my route and was hoping my Garmin would help me know when I should be done with my 10 miles.

The only thing that saved me was that I'd reviewed my route on line a ton of times so I knew once I hit my second drink place how many miles I should be. That helped save the route. I have to say the last part of the route (from miles 8-10) weren't as bad as the rest. I felt better finally and actually felt like I could get into a rhythm. Next week is 11 miles. Yipee. Although I think I'll go back to my old route. I changed it up this time and it didn't work at all. That was another thing...most of the first half of the route was this gradual uphill. It was killer!

Now for today...

This is the top of Elk Ridge Drive looking down towards Hwy 189. You can't even see Hwy 189 it's so far down there.

Today I decided I was going to conquer this road. I'd tried running up it more than once. Quite a few times actually in the last couple years. I could never do the whole thing. I've run down it many times. I actually love the downhill, it's perfect for canyon training. But the uphill...just keep slipping through my fingers. Last week I did the last mile of the uphill and was so excited. So I decided this was the day I was going to make it the whole way.

I got up and felt pretty good. The weather was a little cooler than I'd wanted but I just put on a short sleeve anyway. I knew long sleeve would be too hot really quick. I drove to the top of the hill, left my car and started down. It felt great right away. I hadn't brought my Garmin so I didn't know how fast i was going but I knew my time was good.

When I got to the bottom I turned around and started heading right back up. I didn't even stop. Just went straight up. The first mile up was good. I was so glad I hadn't run even faster downhill like I'd thought about doing. I knew I needed every ounce of energy to make it back up. I hit the spot I knew was 1 mile from the top. I was still doing pretty good; tired but good. I had a rhythm going. I knew I was running really slow but I didn't care-I was going to beat this hill.

As I got closer and closer to the top my legs started really hurting. Like at Crossfit when there's 100 squats to do and you try to do them all without stopping but your legs start burning half way through...that was this but I knew I couldn't stop. When I was at the bottom of the last steep portion I was so happy! I knew I could do it from there. I even was chanting it to myself "I can do this. I can do this." :-) And I did.

When I made it to the top I wanted to jump up and down; I wanted to pump my arms and fists into the air like Rocky did when he finally ran up all those stairs in the first Rocky movie. I was so happy! So freakin proud of myself. I'd done it. I'd made my goal. It had taken a few tries but I'd done it. At that point the fact that my 10 miler had been bad didn't matter anymore. I also knew that I could do this race...something I was really doubting after Saturday's run. I know I can now. That's one stinking huge incline! And I did it. Yes er re Bob. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment