Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Injuries never happen when you want them to

I didn't write last week. My 11 mile run was good. I felt good but I was really slow. I didn't get any carbs though the day before and didn't have anything more than a sip of Gatorade while I was running. I think all of those things made a difference. Because my body felt like I could go longer I just couldn't go faster.

That was my 11 mile run. Last week was my 12 miler. The last one before my big race. I mapped out a couple different routes. I wanted to find the easiest route. I figured 12 miles was hard enough I didn't need to add tons of hills or new roads on top of it. I planned on getting up at really early Saturday morning to get going and done by 8am. Kim was going to meet me at Macey's (at the end of my route) with Leah for chocolate milk and donuts.

Saturday morning I got up and was at the top of Elk Ridge by 5:45am. It was actually cold! I had to wear a long sleeve shirt over my regular shirt. It hasn't been that cool in awhile. It felt good. There was a slight breeze but it went away as soon as the sun came up (which is pretty normal I've found). I made it to my 1st drink stop at mile 5.6. I felt great. My time was awesome. I'd been averaging a 9:50 min mile. I loved the route and decided I'd maybe use it next time I trained or wanted to do a longer run. I started up again and felt good. But around mile 8 I really started slowing down. By mile 9 I was feeling like I wanted to walk so bad. I'd stopped twice for street lights but that hadn't been enough. When I got to the gas station around mile 10.3 I was more than ready for the break. I got a drink, wiped my face off a little and texted Kim to let him know where I was and when I thought I'd be done. I told him I was ready to walk the rest of the way. And when I left the gas station I really thought I would. But once I started running I went a lot further than I thought. I had to stop again around mile 11 to cross the street. I think that was the last time I walked. I made it until my Garmin dinged at mile 12 running.

I was pretty slow the last few miles but I did it. I made it 12 miles. If I figured out how much I actually walked I'd say I walked about 3 blocks or about 1/4 of a mile. It was interesting...my first 6 miles took 55 minutes but my last 6 miles took 68 minutes.

When I stopped at Macey's I was exhausted but so thrilled I'd made it. Kim drove up about 5 minutes later and we went inside to get some chocolate milk & donuts before getting some groceries.


This is what I was thinking about the last couple miles. I got two of them and they tasted amazing! Chocolate milk makes my stomach hurt a little bit but I've heard its the best thing to drink right after a hard, long run.

After we ate our "breakfast" we walked around the store to get some groceries for the family dinner we were having that night. A few minutes into walking around my right foot started hurting. Bad. Like I was barefoot and stepped on a sharp rock. I hurt. But I kept going. When we got home I helped Kim mow the lawns. By the time I finished I could barely walk. I went inside and put my foot up. It hurt so bad!! By the evening I couldn't walk at all. I Googled my injury and kind of figured out what it was but that didn't make things better. I kept reading "need to not run for a few weeks" "No running". I had my half marathon the next Saturday. I almost cried.

It's now 3 days later. My foot is better but still really sore. At least the shooting pain is gone. Now it's more of a dull ache. I can handle that. Monday morning it hurt so bad I thought for sure I wasn't going to be able to run. I know I can now as long as I stay off it the rest of the week. That's so hard though!! No exercise at all-all week! I haven't thought of anything I could do that wouldn't possibly hurt my foot. And I don't want to chance it at all. I did some abdominal exercises yesterday and may do them again tomorrow morning just so I feel like I did something. I worry about the weight I will have gained by Saturday. But I really worry about the distance ability I will have lost by then. No running for a week and then doing 13.1 miles...what the heck!?

We'll see. Wish me luck!
****
Saturday night we had a BBQ. Matthew leaves on Wednesday for the MTC. He'll be gone to Ecuador for 2 years. It's hard to believe. So we decided to have a BBQ. Nice, expensive steaks and great food. It was so good!  Unfortunately Nate didn't come. It was too bad because we wanted to do a family picture too. So we did it without him. It turned out really great I thought. The boys had a good time joking and eating. It was a nice day. Probably nicer if Nathan had been there but nothing we could do about that.


After 6 years of being married here is our first ever family picture. 
I like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment