Monday, January 27, 2014

Food...A four letter word

My last post talked mostly about exercise. While exercise is a big part of my life food, and what I eat, is a major part of my life also. Food has always been a big part though. I grew up with everything centered around food. A lot of my memories are centered around food. And I've done the same thing with my kids (still doing it for the most part). While that's not always a bad thing (the food was always amazing) it kind of makes loosing weight hard.

I have lost weight before. A couple times actually. But each time I've gained it right back. I would almost starve myself to get to my goal and then go right back to eating like I had before. Of course the weight came right back. Why wouldn't it? This time though I knew I needed to keep it off. I had a little baby; I needed to be able to run around with her and after her. So when I finally decided to loose weight (that in itself took months and months to finally decide) I knew I'd need to not only change how I eat but how I cook. Which meant changing how I cooked for my family. I knew I couldn't maintain weight loss by making 2 different meals every night: a healthy one for me and a regular one for my family. The more I thought about it the more I realized it wouldn't hurt my family to eat healthier too. But I would need to find recipes that they liked or they wouldn't go for it.

Finding good tasting healthy recipes was a lot easier than I thought it would be. There are some great websites now a days with recipes that are full of flavor without all the fat and calories. Pretty much everything I've made my family has liked. Sometimes they say that would like it better with "regular" pasta instead of wheat pasta or with more cheese but for the most part I've been lucky.

I also try to keep "bad" food (ice cream, cookies, treats, candy, etc) out of the house. While I know I need to have this stuff every once in awhile so that I don't feel deprived I have a really hard time with self control. I don't really have much at all. Little to none most days. So I try to the treats out of the house. I really wish I could say I'm better at saying no to treats and high calorie food, that I've learned all these great things about eating healthy and just eat healthy now...but once again, bad self control issues.

I love food. I think about food. I think about what I'm going to eat for my next meal, tomorrow, what I ate yesterday, etc. I. Love. Food. So I have bad days. Bad weeks. Even bad months. But I have more good days, good weeks and good months now than I did 2 years ago. I know now what I need to do and I seem to get back on track easier than I did before. Also, unfortunately (and fortunately) sometimes food that I think about, crave and finally give into...doesn't usually taste as good as I thought it would. And sometimes that food that I thought would be so amazingly good makes me sick. My body is a little more use to eating healthy so when I go on binges of eating bad my body lets me know it's not happy. :-) I guess that's a good thing.

So part of this journal will have to do with writing about my bad days and what I did to get back on track. Or writing about my good days and what I did to make it a good day. Because really...this is a one day at a time process. If you look to far ahead it's too overwhelming. *sigh*


No comments:

Post a Comment