Monday, February 24, 2014

A week of cooking

Tonight was meal #2 for the week. It wasn't anything special or exceptionally healthy but something my family loves. It was ham and funeral potatoes. Well, I do my funeral potatoes a little different. I make them with green chiles and I use fat free or low fat sour cream. That's about as healthy as I get. Green chiles are in probably 75% of all the recipes I make...maybe even more. It's something that's easy to add to so many things and it adds just a slight flavor that's really good.

Anyway, that was tonight. For a veggie I made roasted asparagus (EVOO, salt, pepper, roasted in the oven @ 400 for 20 minutes). It's so easy and liked by most of the family. Plus right now asparagus is pretty cheap. That's kind of how I shop for veggies and fruits...what ever's on sale. When asparagus is $4.99 a pound we don't have it. When apples are $1.40 a pound or more we don't have them. It's too expensive for as many people as I feed to buy stuff when it's that much.

The next 3 nights I have 3 other meals I'm looking forward to. Tomorrow's I already put together and it's in the fridge waiting to go in the oven tomorrow night. I love being able to come home and stick something in the oven-or better yet have one of the boys put it in so it's hot and ready when we get home. But right now Dallin's at rugby practice until 6:30 and Stephan leaves for school at 4:30 or 5:00 so I'm usually the one putting it in the oven. Which is fine. As long as I don't have to come home and cook right after working 9 hours I'm good.

So what are my 3 other recipes you ask? Well let me tell you. I'm pretty excited about them all; they're all pretty much new recipes. Tomorrow's is a recipe I've used before but I'm changing it up. It's Enchilada Pasta Casserole. Last time I made it everyone loved it just how the recipe is written but this time I'm going to use chicken instead of ground beef and green sauce instead of red sauce. Plus I use wheat noodles which isn't called for. Last time I did that and everyone made a face-until they ate it. Then they didn't mind the wheat noodles. There's some recipes that it actually tastes better in.

So that's tomorrow, then Wednesday I'm making Santa Fe Turkey Stuffed Peppers. I've made stuffed peppers a couple times but this is a new recipe. Plus it's with turkey which is always harder. Kim isn't really into ground turkey. He thinks it's bland. So I have to work hard to use the right seasonings (and amounts of seasonings) to give it lots of flavor. I'm hoping the peppers will help that also. We're having that Wednesday night because it will just be us and Leah eating. Stephan will be at school, Dallin will be at a choir program and Nate is usually in Salt Lake (although Nate eats pretty much everything). My boys aren't huge stuffed peppers fans so it's a good night to make them.

Thursday is one we're all looking forward to. It's Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches. Everyone loves French Dip sandwiches but I've never tried to make them. Doing it in the slow cooker sounds great! It'll cook all day so all I have to do is come home, get the onions and peppers ready and strain the juice (for dipping). I really hope this one turns out since they're looking so forward to it.

So that's my list of the week. I should have enough leftovers to not have to cook Friday and Saturday. Sunday should be a family dinner with Kim's family so we'll eat over there. I'm really hoping that some of these recipes give us leftovers too. Last night's only gave us 1 helping of leftovers (which Kim took to work since I worked from home most of the day today) but that might have been because a couple people had 3 helpings! But I love that. That means they liked it. Plus I love having Kim come home from work and tell me how much he loved the leftovers for lunch too. I love it when you get one of those recipes that just knocks it out of the park. :-) That makes me happy.

Like I've said before, food is how I show love. It's how I was raised. It's in me. But now I just try to make what I'm giving my family healthy...for the most part. I mean the box mix brownies I cooked up last night and fed my boys weren't the best things ever, but they loved them and it was quick and easy. It's fine here and there-just not every night! I cringe when I think we use to have dessert every night. Man what a lot of money and calories. Now we have apples or bananas or if they're really hungry a peanut butter and jelly sandwich-on wheat bread. :-)

Stephan told me today he doesn't mind sandwiches on the wheat bread I buy. He said it's good and soft still so he doesn't care that it's wheat. Plus he knows it's good for him and he wants to be healthy. He figures he doesn't make the best picks when it comes to food when he's eating out so he knows at least what he gets at home will be healthy. Dallin's said pretty much the same thing (although with rugby, he's trying to make better choices when he's out too). I like hearing that. It makes me feel better about making this change. It makes me feel like maybe I am making an impact on them in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment